Update: Box Edit feature removal
As previously indicated, we’re experiencing issues with Box Edit on University computers and are working closely with Box to ensure that the feature integrates smoothly into our IT environment.
Box Edit removal:
Box Edit has been removed from all student and staff computers because no resolution was reached for the start of the academic year and error messaging continued to impact upon user experience.
Can I still use Box?
Yes, Box still offers great user functionality and we advocate its use University wide. We (UoD IT) continue to use Box as our primary tool for daily workflow because it makes many of our processes much simpler to manage and is secure.
How do I open/edit/save my files without using Box Edit?
You should use one of the following feature options to edit Office files in Box:
Box for Office
– Open, edit and save files in Box directly from Microsoft Office on your Windows PC.
– Click on File > Save and choose Box.
– Edit your Office files using Office Online by choosing the Microsoft Online option when opening files from Box.
– There is no need to install any applications to your computer; all you need is an internet connection.
– Open the files from the Box Sync folder on your PC to edit in Office applications.
– This option is only available on staff computers if the user has chosen to install Box Sync.
Please note: This issue does not affect any computers running Mac OS or any personal devices you have Box Edit installed on.
We welcome any questions our user community may have and ask that they be direct to the IT Service Desk.